Monday, May 14, 2012

The Last Chummus / Hummus Recipe You'll Ever Make

I love love love chummus.

I can't help but to add a "c" in beginning making it sounds like the "ch" in Chanukah.  

What's not to love, I dip veggies in it, use it as a spread instead of mayo and the best part is it's healthy and packed with protein! Every time I eat out I make sure chummus is on the menu (refer to my Yelp page  for some awesome local recommendations.) Then I did what everyone does. I assumed I could do it better! I tried out a couple recipes and they were either not tasty, not smooth enough, and just not that special. I finally found the perfect combination of flavor, texture, and spreadablity - I made a few adjustments but the recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Contessa 

 

The Last Chummus / Hummus Recipe You'll Ever Make

  •  
  • 5 garlic cloves
  • 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved**
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
  • 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 3 tablespoons of liquid from the chickpeas
  • 8 dashes hot sauce
Turn on the food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop the garlic down the feed tube; process until it's minced. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed. Taste, for seasoning, and serve chilled or at room temperature.

** I used dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, cooked for at least half an hour and used the boiled liquid instead of preservative filled liquid in the canned chickpeas. Not suggested for last minute rush. 




 

Let me know how your batch came out! Is the best you'll ever have? If not do you have any suggestions?
Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment