Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Prettiest Eggs You'll Evah See

Deviled eggs are popular in my house. 
              
         Really popular. Like fly off the table as soon as I set it down popular. 

They are a pretty standard dish so when I hosted a grad party for my mother I thought "let's serve it with a twist - a pretty twist." I'm a sucker for presentation and pretty food especially pretty food that tastes good so when I found this version on Cupcakes and Cashmere I was like der! 

For all you crunchies out there no worries these eggs are 
colored from beets not - gasp - artificial coloring :-)




Recipe:
Inspired by CupcakesandCashmere and Source Here

Heads up for this Recipe there is sugar in the pickling mixture if you don't want your eggs to have a slightly sweet taste ditch the sugar or make the eggs a little but spicer ;-)

3 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 small beet, peeled and sliced
1 small shallot, sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf
12 hard-boiled large eggs, peeled
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon grainy mustard
1 teaspoon Hot Sauce
Sweet Paprika, to taste (I used chives)

Directions:
Bring water, vinegar, beet, shallot, sugar, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan, then simmer, covered, until beet is tender, about 20 minutes. Cool completely, uncovered. Put beet mixture in a container with eggs and marinate, chilled, gently stirring once or twice, for 2-6 hours.

Remove eggs from beet mixture and pat dry (discard beet mixture). Cut in half lengthwise and remove yolks. Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard, and Siracha sauce. Season with salt and pepper, then divide among egg whites and sprinkle with paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment