Thursday, May 24, 2012

Travel Diary: Japan Part II


I think I was published on another site . . . . not quite sure but a blog tweeted a link to a post with my first Travel Diary to Japan - so I guess that means I was published right? 



Yay! I am now a published blogger!

Now back to blogging . . . .

Day 3

Last night after I published the first post for Japan, Gary got this idea we should try to find clothes for the next day, I was sooo tired and zonked but I knew Gary NEEDED clothes - I had an extra pair of necessities packed on my carry on so I wasn't in dire need of a change of clothes. We called the front desk and they told us about a store called Don Kyoto (probably not spelling that right :-( . We were shocked that a store was open at 11:45 pm but we were even more surprised that they would sell formal wear. We grabbed a cab (he pressed a button and the door automatically swung open how cool is that!) and took us to a store that is a cross between Wal-Mart, Rite-Aid, and an arcade place. 

They had EVERYTHING! Mega packs of fake eyelashes, restaurants, arcade games, bedding, toiletries, suits, sex toys, pots and pans, kimonos - when I say everything I mean EVERYTHING! I grabbed a shirt, skit, and a bra - I never travel in one waaaay too uncomfy, and Gary bought a tie, shoes, t-shirts, and a white dress shirt. Gary is 6' tall and very broad and the store may have had everything but the kitchen sink but they did NOT have normal American sizing! The biggest size they had was a 30''?!

We woke up at the crack of dawn even though we went to bed really late, Gary got coffee and I got sweet bread covered with ice cream (I swear it looked like whipped cream in the picture) and a cinnamon latte. After a power breakfast we headed to Nagoya Central Station because they had a mall there and we were still on a quest to find Gary pants. 

After searching all the stores and with no results it was time to call in back up. Masasuki, a collegue of Gary's that did research in Pittsburgh and moved back to Nagoya, was called and he called his wife and recommended an amazing store with affordable pants in the correct size! Yay!! Mission accomplished. We headed to the Nagoya Conference Center ASAP and Gary made it in time to present!

He doesn't let me watch but knowing him, he knocked the audience's socks off! While he was presenting I chilled with my kindle and as soon as he was finished we hopped on a train to buy a dress for the Presidential Dinner for the conference. I went reaallly conservative with the clothes not wanting to offend anyone or stand out too much. Like that will ever happen with this head of hair . . . . 


7-11!! 
Posey posey in my new clothes from Don Kyoto
Gary looking all business like in his tie and dress shirt. If you know him, you know his uniform is a t, shorts, and flip flops so I HAD to capture this moment
Yummmy cappuccino! Please excuse the no make up and hair - I had no product or blow dryer :-(

Ice cream for breakfast. Yup no biggie
Some streets have no side walks or cross walks, instead bridge like sidewalks for pedestrians only.
Also Japanese always walk on the left. 
Japanese Sweet Tammy's
Lots of school girls in uniforms. Lots of black and white formal wear.
Fun nails!
Myself, Mitsugu (Gary's former colleague), Gary
The gilded orca in the background represents water and supposed to protect the place from fire
Crazy cool sculpture in the Nagoya Conference Center courtyard. This thing was huge! 
Twisted apartment/office building
Gary!!!
Who does not fit in . . . .  as usual
l to r: Dr. Fujii, Gary, and Jackie
Men talking serious business
I would looove to give credit to the designers but I have no idea who they are?!
My bag is from Aldo though


Good news! My luggage came in tonight! Just in time! I really needed my new hiking shoes - the only practical pair of shoes I own - for tomorrow cause to Nara and Kyoto we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment